Friday, December 12, 2008

Fingernails

This a post-pre post as it were -- in that I'm trying to talk about what has happened -- but trying to think about it as it happened.

One thing that surprised me when the baby was delivered ( other then the fact that the baby was coming this second ) was that he was born with fingernails and toenails. I know that doesn't seem surprising to most people - but at the time it seemed so detail oriented that I was just surprised. I mean what happens if the baby cooks too long -- can they scratch themselves? isn't that a little bit of bad design ? why not grow them after birth and save yourself the trouble?

anyway of course in other ways the delivery was quite amazing.

Our son was born by C-Section and I was allowed to watch -- which is quite an awesome experience -- I didn't know if I was going to be able to look -- but I found I could -- much credit here must go to the doctors as a lot of the gore was carefully shielded -- which was pretty decent of them... but it was amazing to see our son literally pulled peeing from within his mother... I'm not an overly spiritual person and of course I understand the science behind the creation of a baby... but once you see a real baby really crying it does raise questions about a spirit and a soul and life.

I was I confess incredibly nervous about this little new bundle of joy -- which was whisked quickly away! ( I was immediately and forcefully directed to follow that baby ).

He was examined and poked and prodded by the nurses for around ten minutes while I watched and of course they were all using gloves and precautions and stuff  -- which was quite intimidating -- I wasn't even sure if I was allowed to touch him -- but eventually I just got too curious. So I asked if I could -- and the nurse said "The dad is always allowed to touch the baby".

I couldn't resist -- I put my finger in his extremely tiny fist and he grabbed it! incredible!! 

No comments: